Dr. Wakeshi Benson is a native of Battle Creek, Michigan. In Junior High School Dr. Benson had orthodontic treatment to straighten her teeth, and this experience gave her the passion to pursue a career in dentistry. Dr. Benson gained acceptance into Michigan State University and graduated with honor. She then attended dental school at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. While in dental school Dr. Benson became involved in several outreach programs such as, the Traverse City Migrant Worker Program, Colgate Bright Smiles Bright Future, and the Marshall Becker Dental Clinic.
Immediately following dental school she became a general practice resident in dentistry at the John D. Dingell Veterans Administrations Medical Center. This experience allowed her to receive advanced training performing dentistry on medically compromised patients in a hospital setting. After residency Dr. Benson worked as a general dentist for five years in the metropolitan area of Detroit, Michigan. She completed her specialty residency in orthodontics at Howard University College of Dentistry in Washington DC. During her orthodontic training she served as Chief-Resident. In 2004 Dr. Benson became the youngest President of the Detroit District Dental Society (Central Branch).
Dr. Benson is married with three children and resides in the Richmond, Virginia area.
Recent Awards and Recognitions:
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthodontics (2010 – present)
- Orthodontic Department Award (Howard University)
- Postdoctoral Research Award (Howard University)
- Postdoctoral Award in Biomechanics (Howard University)
- Detroit District Society 2005 New Dentist Award
- Recent Alumni Award (Michigan State University College of Natural Science)
Member of the following Organizations:
- American Association of Orthodontist
- Southern Association of Orthodontist
- American Dental Association
- Virginia Dental Association
- Richmond Dental Society
- National Dental Association
- Peter B. Ramsey Dental Society
- Old Dominion Dental Society
- Academy of General Dentist
- College of Diplomates, American Board of Orthodontics
- Academy of Dentistry International (Fellow)